|Federation streetscape in Hampton Street Bridgetown WA|
|Ford House is one of the classic early properties of the Blackwood River Valley.|
|Kandalee, Moyola, BellaVista were some of the gardens open in Bridgetown for the Festival of Country Gardens over four days in 2014.|
For sale 2014
|Blackwood Park Rd Bridgetown|
Large bungalow residence built of stone and brick by the Bazzo Bros. builders, in 1930.
Over the years the name of the property has become "Park Farm". In 2011 the well preserved buildings are surrounded with mature exotic tree species, including Bunya Pines. A gazebo and the breezeway between the main house and the kitchen have been artfully incorporated into the structure, enlarging the original living area, whilst maintaining the architectural integrity of the original house.
Federation Bungalow style ...built 1896
The house was built near to the original ford over the Blackwood River for W.A.G. Walter who was the first Magistrate in the district.
He bought 5 acres from the original land owner J. Blechnynden, which includes an arboretum.
Hampton St Bridgetown
Heritage Place No. 241
The residence was built by a local builder, John Potts (Pop) Henderson, as his own home. It is a weatherboard and iron house which has been extended. Windy Hollow is a beautiful farm property surrounded by rolling hills, pasture, and natural forest
Construction date 1884: Lot 441 on Diagram 222169, C/T 1338/526
May Cottage is a simple, rectangular, timber framed slab structure with gabled roof, small paned casement windows and a simple brick chimney with external flue to the west wall. The house has a new, red colorbond roof and skillon verandah, with large extension and timber deck to the south. The timber and red colorbond extension is 'L' shaped in plan, with a replicated gable roof abutting the original residence along its south elevation, and a gabled north-south walkway linking the western end of the residence to a western wing. The extensions are not readily visible from the street, and the original form of May Cottage is still clearly evident. The pioneering May family of nine lived on a ten acre allotment selling produces, such as fruit & vegetable, dairy goods, in town.
Very significant representing the type of construction typical of early cottages in the south west forest areas in the period of early settlement between 1850 and the 1880s. Significance increased by the intactness and condition of the fabric.
In 1920 the old Peninsula Homestead was demolished to make way for a grand new building which remains standing today.
At times it has been derelict and vandalised, threatened by bushfire, but recently restored to its former glory by the current owners.
A fine stone and brick mansion with views to the Blackwood Valley beyond.
|Bridgetown - heritage National Bank Building|
|Bridgetown Hotel 1990s|
Displaying pictures by Derek Graham
Bridgetown - Old Gaol
Architectural Style: Federation Filigree
Old Gaol & Police Quarters, Bridgetown, a single-storey Victorian Georgian style brick and shingle former police station and lockup and Federation Filigree style police quarters, has cultural heritage significance for the following reason: The Gaol is the oldest government building in Bridgetown, and one of the oldest surviving buildings in the town.
The town's first police station was located down by the Blackwood River but in 1880 a new one was built on Hampton Street (this now being the old gaol!).
The old gaol included the police quarters which was first occupied by Constable John Bovell in 1880. The gaol had two cells, a kitchen and an exercise yard. The gaol was used right up until the 1970's when a new police station (but less attractive one) was built. The police quarters were used by the police until the 1980's.
Federation Free Style:
The Bridgetown Lawn Tennis Club was established in 1927 and the pavilion was constructed at about this time.
The pavilion is constructed of timber frame with weatherboard lining and an iron roof with a small central gable above the verandah. The walls and roof are currently painted green.
There is a concrete and brick terrace on the northern side of the building facing the courts which has been extended. There is also a brick shop on the western end of the structure which is not original.
There is an honour board on the verandah for players which dates from 1928.
There is also a memorial gate with stone piers and attractive wrought iron work, in memory of Tom Graham, foundation and life membe of the club, 1927-1945. The steps to the club are also a memorial to three club members.