|This house at 2 Exeter Road, Exeter, has come back onto the market with a price tag of $3.3 million.|
Historically and architecturally significant, Whare Tau sits amidst its magnificent garden estate, a commanding and beautiful example of Federation Queen Anne style.
Situated by parklike grounds and boasting significant outbuildings including a two bedroom brick self contained cottage, a wonderful corn drying shed and original coach house and stables.
The date of construction of the residence is presumed to be prior 1906, as it is thought that 1906 was the first year that Deeds of Property were issued in this area. After Miss Meek's death, the property was bequeathed to Mrs Lillian Thurtell.
The house is a single story Federation Queen Anne residence of double (face) brick construction, rectangular plan shape, with rear skillion added at an early date. The pitched roof is clad with slate. There are five brick chimneys. Timber gables, including decorative bracketing, provide evidence of fine craftsmanship.
The interior of the house contains excellent examples of ornate joinery, often extending to the ceiling height of 15ft. Marble fireplaces, original milk paint colour scheme still intact) continue the prevalence of first class craftsmanship and attention to detail. Oiled timber flooring imported from New Zealand is found throughout the house. The hall is divided by a decorative portal.
Two wells are still in use for the garden; one of these is operated by a windmill. English oak, elm and lime trees of great size and bulbs and roses of a bygone age are still in the garden. The Sydney Morning Herald Title Deeds article of June 1993 reports that prior to the deceased estate contents auction trees were uprooted so clear access could be gained into the Federation style house. It is unclear if this procedure included the removal of some of the original, significant plantings.
|Main Road, Exeter|
|Original store - now homestead, east of station|
Badgery was granted land between the present Sutton Forest and Exeter villages, and he and his family were later to consolidate holdings of several thousands of acres, centred on the main holding, which was called Vine Lodge.
Today a reminder of this past can be seen on the right hand side of the road as you enter Exeter from Sutton Forest - the horse stud farm of the same name. Descendants of the Badgery family still live in the area.
|St. Aidans Anglican Church 1896|
However it seems almost 20 years passed before moves were made to establish a town. In 1891 a large section of 'Vine Lodge' was subdivided and sold; the first school was also opened, and a post office. Some houses already existed for staff at the station and new lots were snapped up.
|School of Arts|
|The old cottage seen today near the railway was originally a blacksmith's shop, and dates from 1890. The two main shops at the crossroads were built c.1900 (the current general store) and c.1920 (for many years the general store, now an antique shop). There does not seem to have been an inn or hotel in Exeter, which makes it different from most settlements in the Highlands.|
A gold mine operated east of Exeter at the headwaters of Stonequarry Creek in the 1880s, and a mining lease was taken out again for the area in 1904.